Yes, that’s right! You can increase your Dropbox space for as much as up to 16 GB without paying a single dime by inviting friends. But that does not guarantee that you will get the extra space. Your friends will still have to accept the invite and install Dropbox on their machine. And that is where this tutorial comes in. Just create a bunch of users your self and install Dropbox in a virtual machine.
Please note that steps 1-5 in this tutorial are optional, but I recommend doing them for the sake of anonymity and to keep from messing up your actual Dropbox account on your computer. It’s better to do this in an isolated OS environment and that is why I use a virtual machine.
There are also other ways to increase your Dropbox space for free. But these methods are limited and can only be performed once:
- You get 250 MB when you complete the Get Started tour
- You get 125 MB when you connect your FaceBook or Twitter account to Dropbox
- You get 125 MB when you follow Dropbox on Twitter
- You get 125 MB when you give feedback on why you so very much love Dropbox
You get 1000 MB when you manage your e-mail with Mailbox(No longer available. Mailbox was shut down on February 26, 2016) You get 3000 MB when you use Dropbox’s own media gallery called Carousel.(No longer available. Carousel has been shutdown)
If you want to pay $9.99 per month you get 1 TB of disk space. Paying $15 per month for businesses you get unlimited storage space.
What you need:
- A virtual machine client like VirtualBox.
- An operating system (I use Linux Fedora Workstation but any other Linux distribution will do).
Here’s how to do it:
- Download and install VirtualBox.
- Download Fedora Workstation 24.
- Create a new virtual machine and install Fedora (If you got problems drop me a note in the comments).
- Create an e-mail account from a free e-mail provider. I use Yandex in this scenario.
- Remember the security question because you will need this when deleting the Yandex account.
- From your Dropbox account, invite your new friend.
- From your virtual machine log in to your Yandex e-mail account and accept the invitation and create a new Dropbox account.
- Install Dropbox on your virtual machine and log in as the final step.
- You now have 500 MB free extra space on your personal Dropbox account.
Deleting Yandex E-mail Account
- Log in to your account
- Click on the gear icon (Settings)
- Click on Personal data, signature, picture
- In the left side of the screen click on Edit information.
- Under other settings click Delete account
Deleting a Dropbox Account
- Log in to the Dropbox account using the Yandex e-mail.
- Click on the name in the upper right corner.
- Click Settings.
- Click on the Account tab.
- Click Delete my Dropbox account at the bottom.